Make sure to always include content files in project output, otherwise XNA won’t be able to load the file since it isn’t in the Content directory!
NOTE: I do not know the exact reason that this problem was fixed, but I will provide the steps that I took to end up with a working installation of Google Chrome.
NOTE 2: I’m not responsible for your hardware or software. I am just trying to offer suggestions to a problem that really irritated me.
Hello, friends. Long time, no reading of my posts. :( I just wanted to comment on a fix that I had a hard time finding a solution for. It was a simple problem—Google Chrome kept freezing my computer for ~1 minute intervals, and thus I was “forced” to use Firefox (not a dis on Firefox, I love it, but prefer Chrome). I am not sure if this is prevalent in other operating systems, or even other versions of Windows, but here is some important information about my situation while Google Chrome was freezing my computer:
- OS: Windows 8 (with all Windows Updates as of 3/1/2013)
- Storage: 1 500GB HDD, 1 128GB SSD, 1 60GB SSD (OS)
- I had just moved my computer from an old mid-sized case to a full-sized one.
- I had messed around with my BIOS in order to setup boot order, CPU over clocking, and fan speeds.
So of this information may not seem important to a simple browser crash/freeze, but I think it may have been part of the problem at one point or another.
In a nut shell, Google Chrome was unusable. Every time I tried using it, Chrome would freeze and/or my whole computer would freeze. It was really annoying and sometimes I couldn’t even CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open the Task Manager to stop the process.
I re-installed Google Chrome. I was on the beta release of Chrome and tried the public release and dev release of it. All of these attempts didn’t seem to have any affect, but it is definitely worth a try if you are experiencing problem with any software in general. Stuff happens and things don’t always work as intended. For me, this didn’t fix anything. I was still having the same problems.
As per this forum thread, https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/chrome/T7g_6iibjMg, I tried running the following command with elevated priviledges: bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes. I don’t really understand this fix, but it didn’t work for me. From what I hear, “Dynamic Tick” is a Windows feature that lets the CPU run certain commands as a batch, allowing for longer times of idle, thus less power consumption overall. Also note, that this is a bootloader configuration setting, so you will need to restart your computer in order for the setting to take effect.
I reset my BIOS to use any defaults that it could use instead of the changes I had made. For me, there is a “Boot Safe Defaults” option (or something named similarly), which just reset everything from the default save on the CMOS. Again, after rebooting the machine I didn’t notice any difference in the way Chrome was freezing.
Make sure my transfer from one case to another didn’t break anything. Well, it did. I am convinced this is the thing that fixed things although I can’t really explain why—it just did. So when I boot up my pc, it would bring up a GRUB bootloader, even though GRUB is not installed on the SSD that Windows 8 is installed on. I realized that when I changed computers, I must have messed up the order in which the HHD/SSD’s were plugged into the motherboard. So, I went into the BIOS to see which drive was being loaded, opened the case, and swapped the spots between the drive I wanted to try booting from first and the drive that was currently being booted from. When I rebooted my computer I ensured that the correct drive was being booted from, along with restoring the other customizations I made to the BIOS. When I rebooted after that, everything just seemed to work! I re-installed Chrome just to be sure, but I am convinced it had to do with the the order of storage drives.
Actually, I just realized that I did something else that may have had an impact on this. I noticed that Windows was only reading half of my RAM, so I took them out and reseated them in the motherboard. I must not have completely put one of them in, or it just wasn’t being read. Either way, it now reads all 8GB of my RAM and everything seems to be working fine.
I know this is not the best of “tutorials”—if you want to call it that—but I hope this helps someone out in the future. Maybe these aren’t any of the fixes for you, but it may be good enough to get you thinking of another possible solution. I would suggest reading the forum thread from Google Groups that I linked to earlier. That is where I got most of the ideas. Anyways, have fun and catchya next time I need to vent or keep track of how I fix weird errors. :P